Thursday, February 28, 2013

On writing and blogs

I've been thinking about this blog lately, and about the fact that I write it. See, the thing is, I don't consider myself a writer. But I write this blog, so that kind of makes me a writer. And, I've even written a first draft of a novel. So that makes me a writer too, doesn't it? 
 
And, thinking back over the course of my life, I've always been a writer. I've always had journals and I've always loved to write. I love crafting the perfect letter or even the perfect email. I love the challenge of expressing myself perfectly using written words and knowing that, even without my facial expressions or tone of voice to rely on, the reader will know just what I mean. And, one of my dreams has always been to publish a novel--ever since I was 11 or 12.
 
So back to the blog thing. I think I've mentioned before that I read a lot of other blogs. Like 40. Or maybe even 50. Most of them are mommy blogs. Some of the bloggers have sick children, some are regular moms, some are pregnant, some have a bunch of children, some are crafty, some are funny....they really run the gambit. Then there are few blogs I read that are dedicated to one of my favorite tv shows. (It's the Bachelor, ok? Total guilty pleasure.) 
 
I love taking a peek into other people's lives and I really like to study the way other people write. There are a few blogs I read that I am just in awe of. These women write like their souls depend on it and they inspire me so much. There is such beauty in what they write. I've only been writing this blog for a few months, but already these women have had a profound impact on what I write, and how I write it. 
 
I can't force myself to write in a way that isn't comfortable for me. Too cutesy annoys me. Too may fragments annoy me, even it is for stylistic effect. And forget major grammar errors--like nails on a chalkboard for me. And it goes the other way too. Some of these women are so philosophical and can put into words things that I can only feel and could never name. But still, I will glean whatever I can from them and integrate into my writing.
 
Can anyone out there relate? What's something you do but don't consider yourself a real "do-er" of it?
 
 
 
I'll leave you with this totally unrelated, yet adorable, picture of my baby girl asleep. So peaceful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!